Thursday, March 6, 2014

I HAVE LOST 125lbs! Accountability for your goals.

  I weighed myself twice today because I could not believe what the scale said! So, at work in the gym I timidly stepped up and thought "no way, I have been sick and haven't been giving 110% at the gym" so later while at YMCA I again ventured over and stepped up.... I AM OFFICIALLY DOWN 125 POUNDS SINCE SEPTEMBER 2013! That's a little over 5 1/2 months but feels like a lifetime ago!
  When I decided at the end of August that I wanted to get healthy I knew I was in for a rough ride. I lost that initial 80 pounds so fast (only 3.5 months) but surgery slowed it way down. I lost only 45 pounds in the last 2 months and a few days..... but, I never have given up, got burnt out or wanted to quit. Despite all the not so supportive individuals out there that have said I would. GEE THANKS! It still bugs the crap out of me how I have been accused of taking the easy way out by having surgery. BITE ME! That's me saying it nicely. You watch every single thing you eat or drink the rest of your life and tell me how damn easy it is! The second thing the gets me are the people who actually said to me that they were against me having the surgery because they liked me just the way I was. Fat, miserable and tired? I suppose some thought they were being helpful, but, honestly you fueled my anger and pushed me harder. So, thank you to the self centered individuals that wanted me to stay fat so you could feel better about yourself.  Your part of the reason I will not fail. This is not about being skinny.... I want to be healthy. Try wrapping your head arpund that one. Hmmmm?

  So, part of what has helped me is holding myself accountable.  Not placing blame on others for my poor decisions, not skipping workouts when my children got tired of swimming all the time while I work out....I set my own schedule and keep to it as much as possible.  It is the only way I will achieve my goal of another 75 pounds.
I found on the website fitnessforweightloss.com a really nice article about accountability called "11 ways to hold yourself accountable for your goals"
It was not letting me link it for some reason so I copied it because I think it is a good place to start. As well as a simple way to get over those inevitable slumps where you question your drive and inner strength.  So here is their FABULOUS list.....

11 Ways to Hold Yourself Accountable for Your Goals
By fitnessforweightloss.com

1. Tell someone
Share your goals with your:FriendsFamily membersCo-workersOnline support groupTherapistShare your goal, how you will achieve it, and by when. Sometimes the simple act of telling somebody what you will achieve and knowing they might ask you about it will push you to achieve it.

2. Schedule check-ins
Have someone follow up with you daily, weekly, or monthly via:PhoneEmailTextFacebook message (or other form of social media)You’re more likely to do something when you know someone is going to follow up with you about it.

3. Go public
Use social media to share your goals and progress:Post your goal on Facebook.Share weekly or monthly updates on Twitter.Start a blog about your weight loss journey.Keep a video diary on Youtube.Instead of worrying about people judging you, think about the encouragement you might receive and the people you could inspire.

4. Keep a food journal
A food journal is a good way to hold yourself accountable for what you eat. For additional accountability, commit to showing somebody your food journal at the end of each day or week.If you know you have to record what you eat, you may decide against that big piece of cake or other temptation. A study of 1,685 overweight and obese adults showed the more days a week they kept a food journal, the more weight they lost. 

5. Join an organization
Join an organization such as Weight Watchers and commit to attending weekly meetings and weigh-ins. 

6. Join a team challenge
Join a weight loss challenge. Many gyms, communities, hospitals, and companies offer health and weight-loss related challenges.Joining a team challenge can provide friendly competition, accountability, and also a network of people who are striving to achieve the same or similar goals. These are also people you can keep in touch after the challenge is over.

7. Recruit a workout buddy
Make plans to exercise with somebody. Set a specific day, time, and location for your workout. You’re more likely to stick to your exercise plan when you know somebody is relying on you. 

8. Hire help
Hire a personal trainer, dietitian, or weight loss coach. Knowing you have paid for an appointment with someone (and usually with a cancellation fee) can help you keep your appointment and follow through with any ‘homework’.This can get expensive so be sure you plan other forms of accountability once your sessions are up.

9. Sign a contract
Write up a contract. State your goals, how you will achieve them, and the rewards or consequences of achieving them (or not). Sign your contract to make it official and have a friend, family member, or accountability partner witness it.

10. Put money on the line
Commit to paying a friend, family member, or co-worker a designated amount of money if you don’t achieve a particular goal.Give a friend a certain amount of money and earn it back as you achieve the goals you set. If you don’t achieve your goals, your friend gets to keep the money.You can put anything on the line; it doesn’t have to be money. You can put housework, babysitting, movie tickets, lottery tickets, or anything else on the line. Find something that will motivate you to achieve your goals.

11. Sign up for a race
Sign up for a 5k, 10k or any other race/event.Registering for an event can provide motivation and accountability to start or stick to an exercise plan. If you don’t train for it, you might not be able to complete the race.Signing up with a team provides additional accountability to train so you don’t let your team down.
                    *********************************************************************

  What did you think? I personally have done 8 of these suggestions. Before I even read this article! They really do work! There are a million websites and even more gimmicks out there telling you to take some product and without changing a thing you will drop the pounds. Complete BS! There is no magic pill! Heck, even having my insides cut apart, rearranged then stapled back together has not made my weightloss efforts any easier. In fact, I would go as far as saying it has hindered my progress! Having to battle dehydration, fatigue and my body thinking it is needing to stay in starvation mode 24/7 because I can not keep from throwing up everything I eat, has without a doubt made exercise much more exhausting. But, I am keeping myself accountable for every calorie, every minute of physical activity and my progress to my goal. If I don't no one else is going to!
  I, however, have not had to face this journey completely alone. I have a wonderful group of friends that work out with me, some of my family has been encouraging, and my co-workers have started one-by-one jumping on this wagon as well. We are a force to be recond with when you bring crap food into our area. LOL! So, as I learn more and grow in the knowledge my brain soaks in from everything I read (which is a lot) I share it with those that want to hear it and put it out there in case someone else wants to glance at it later.

♥Another great article on this same website explains the benefits of having a support team to reach your goals. It is listing put 10 reasons to have one..... so, I included the link in case you want to take a peak.
fitnessforweightloss.com/support-team

  Well, it is getting late and I have 3 classes at 2 different YMCA branches in a few hours, meaning I need to wrap this up and get some sleep! Remember, I am here if you need me. I will be your biggest cheerleader and shoulder to cry on when things are seemingly out of reach.
                                                            You have a wonderful night!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you kimmy and glad that I knew the old you but happy that I will always know the nee you. It is because of you that I have been inspired to join your journey and change my life and get the gastric bypass and make the everlasting lifestyle change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will be your biggest cheerleader along the way! We got this!

      Delete