Sunday, March 16, 2014

Kimberly's Kitchen - Revised Italian Turkey Sausage with Peas Pasta Dish

  My family has this recipe my kids love, however, it is not close to being healthy. So,  I sat down and revised the recipe to lower the calories, fat, and sugar content while raising the protein. But, most people in this country follow the "if it doesn't taste good, I will not eat it" philosophy.  I am very proud to say I accomplished my mission. The kids went back for seconds and I dropped the numbers I was intending to while bringing the protein up!  Here is how it breaks down per serving and this recipe makes 8 total.
     Original Recipe  vs.  Kimberly's
Calories            611  vs.  355
Fat                      39g  vs.  12g
Sugar                 15g  vs.  6g
Protein               15g  vs.  25g

Kimberly's Revised Italian Turkey Sausage and Peas Pasta
Serves 8
1 pound of Italian seasoned ground turkey
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
4-5 TB Italian seasoning
2 cloves of garlic, minced
12oz frozen peas
2 cups Fage brand no fat Greek Yogurt (more depending on how creamy you like it)
4 TB I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray (spray only!)
4 TB grated Parmesan Cheese blend
1 pound Rigatoni pasta

Prepare pasta per package directions and set aside. In skillet,  saute garlic and  Italian seasoning in olive oil. Add in ground Italian seasoned ground turkey and stir until fully cooked. Add in peas and allow to simmer approx. 5 minutes.  Mix in the prepared pasta and add butter substitute.  Remove from heat and fold in the Greek yogurt. Note: If yogart is added to soon, it may separate and curdle. Dish is NOT ruined but just does not have the creamy white sauce texture.
Sprinkle lightly with the parmesan cheese upon serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment