Friday, November 14, 2014

Benefits of Sleep

 Okay, so my last post was on why it is important to stay hydrated and drink the right kinds of fluids. Thought I should probably write about the topic we all love but can't seem to get enough of..... The Benefits of Sleep.
  This world has started spinning faster, I am dizzy with how fast things fly by now days! My daughter will be 17 years old in 2 weeks and in just 40 days I will be celebrating my first Surgriversary! For those that do not know, Gastric Bypass Patients like to celebrate the anniversary of their surgery date because it is essentially when you have firmly restarted your life. I have had my ups and downs, roadblocks and speed bumps but I am learning (though very slowly) to just go with it. I don't like being lazy, taking a day off or letting anything slow me down. However, my body keeps telling me otherwise. I have been trying very hard to work on maintaining my hydration and eating a balanced diet but one thing being put on bed rest has done recently is made me restless. I want to be back in the gym, sweating my butt of literally and getting to my goal weight by December 25th. However, I don't think it is in the cards for me this time.
  I keep being told by multiple individuals to slow down, take a nap and rest. UGH! So, I have tried to humor them and stick to a very limited physically active existence FOR THE MOMENT. My family keeps saying I should catch up on sleep. I will admit ever since my kidney issues started, sleep is something I crave. Mostly, I think, because I despise daytime tv and since getting rid of cable, there is nothing good on over-the-air stations. which leaves me with time to research my blog topics or sleep.
 Which brings me to this blog post..... The Benefits of Sleep.
 Health.com has an article 11 Surprising Health Benefits of Sleep which lists out why "Adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more." I am not going to copy them all down for you.... I know you're big kids and click the link if you really want to. LOL! But, the article does also say "Researchers at the University of Chicago found that dieters who were well rested lost more fat—56% of their weight loss—than those who were sleep deprived, who lost more muscle mass. (They shed similar amounts of total weight regardless of sleep.)
Dieters in the study also felt more hungry when they got less sleep.
"Sleep and metabolism are controlled by the same sectors of the brain," Dr. Rapoport says. "When you are sleepy, certain hormones go up in your blood, and those same hormones drive appetite."
 NOTE TO MY CHILDREN!!!! I have been telling you that the late night munchies you get is actually your body telling you you are tired!!!! LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER!!!!
 Okay, now back to topic - hehehehe......
 Experts at Harvard have studies the benefits and say on their site that there are Consequences of Insufficient Sleep "Most people don’t get enough sleep. We are a society that burns the candle at both ends, a nation where people stay up all night to study, work, or have fun. However, going without adequate sleep carries with it both short- and long-term consequences.
In the short term, a lack of adequate sleep can affect judgment, mood, ability to learn and retain information, and may increase the risk of serious accidents and injury. In the long term, chronic sleep deprivation may lead to a host of health problems including obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even early mortality."
 I always head online to WebMD.com to see their take on my topics and they did not let me down yet again, they say "Sleep More, Weigh Less" which grabbed my attention! "It's true: Being short on sleep can really affect your weight. While you weren't sleeping, your body cooked up a perfect recipe for weight gain.When you’re short on sleep, it’s easy to lean on a large latte to get moving. You might be tempted to skip exercise (too tired), get takeout for dinner, and then turn in late because you’re uncomfortably full.
If this cascade of events happens a few times each year, no problem. Trouble is, nearly two-thirds of Americans aren't getting enough sleep during a typical week Yet experts agree that getting enough shut-eye is as important to health, well-being, and your weight as diet and exercise." WebMD also breaks it down into simpler terms, "Sleep is like nutrition for the brain. Most people need between 7 and 9 hours each night. Get less than that, and your body will react in ways that lead even the most determined dieter straight to Ben & Jerry’s. Why? Because insufficient sleep impacts your hunger and fullness hormones, including two called ghrelin and leptin. Ghrelin signals your brain that it’s time to eat. When you’re sleep-deprived, your body makes more ghrelin. Leptin, on the other hand, cues your brain to put the fork down. When you’re not getting enough sleep, leptin levels plummet, signaling your brain to eat more food. Put the two together, and it’s no wonder sleep deprivation leads to overeating and extra pounds."
  So, I guess my 3 hour workout days would be more beneficial if I did manage to get the extra sleep I have been depriving myself for the last year. Guess, I honestly am afraid of falling into a lazy routine and the gym become a thing of my past! NOPE! Not going there!
  And just when you think that about sums it all up... here is a nice little loop built in for you... According to HealthDay.com's article Healthy Weight Loss May Bring Better Sleep, Brighter Mood "Dropping excess pounds may not only improve your physical health, it might also help you feel more awake and happy, a new study shows." The article also says "The research, presented this week (June 24, 2014) at the joint meeting of the International Society of Endocrinology and the Endocrine Society in Chicago, included 390 obese women and men who were assigned to one of three programs meant to help them lose weight through diet and exercise.
One group received usual care, in which they were given printed educational materials during visits every three months with their primary care provider. The second group saw their primary care provider every three months, and also had brief meetings with lifestyle coaches. The third group met with their primary care providers and lifestyle coaches, and also received meal replacements and weight-loss medications.
However, no matter which group they were in, participants who lost at least 5 percent of their weight after six months slept an average of nearly 22 minutes more each night than they had before, the study found."
  What it is alluding to is that we all need sleep - adequate sleep - to lose those stubborn pounds but when we do start losing the weight, it also increases the quality of sleep. So, the better we feel, the better we sleep, which means the more we can accomplish!
 OKAY! I am sold! NAP TIME IS GOOD!
 Well, I am going to do like I always do and keep reading on the subject.... let's see what else I can dig up!

No comments:

Post a Comment