Thursday, May 15, 2014

Eating Out and Surviving the Trip!

  So, I knew eating out would be a hassle after my RNY surgery,  heck healthy eating in general is a pain in our fast food world even before adding in a crazy dietary restriction.  But, I have been working on a list to make it easier on my friends and family.  Lord knows they have been extremely patient when I have to go through the nutritional books before placing an order. And yes, I have irritated managers and workers but excuse the hell out of me if I don't want to get sick because of eating something that "appeared to be healthy".... just keep in mind, not all foods or drinks are created equal! Example: we can have the Diet Green Tea with splenda from Sonic because it is non-carbonated,  sugar free and caffeine free. However,  the Iced Green Tea at Panera, has a whopping 23 grams of sugar and 100 calories in just16 ounces!
  I will include the links to the restaurants I review here so you can make an informed choice before going in. Just click on the restaurant name and their nutritional information will be at your fingertips..... (quick note, Sorry, RaeLynn, I will try to study these for the next time we go to lunch.  Thank you for being so great! You have the patience of a saint. Hehehe.) Back to what I was saying.....having a plan before walking into a place instead of "winging it" can not only save you time but keep you from having to end your outing from getting sick! So, here are some places and foods I have tried so far on my own and did NOT have any issues with!

Panera Bread
  Classic Cafe half salad brings 80 calories, 5g fat, 2g fiber,  6g sugar and 1g protein.

Wendy's
  Small Chili contains 180 calories, 5g fat, 4g fiber, 5g sugar and 13g protein
  Side Salad has 20 calories, 0g fat, 2g fiber, 2g sugar and 1 protein add the Pomegranate Vinaigrette and you add 70 calories, 3g fat and 9g sugar.
  Sour Cream & Chive Baked Potato has 320 calories, 3.5g fat, 7g fiber, 4g sugar and 8g protein.

McAlister's Deli
Country Potato Soup (1 cup) 220 calories, 11g fat, 2g fiber, 4g sugar and 7g protein.

Pita Pit (this ends up being 3 meals for me to finish it all!)
Chicken Souvlaki on white pita, with shredded cheddar cheese, tzatiki sauce, avocado,  roasted red pepper hummas, tomatoes, red onions, green peppers, cucumbers, shredded lettuce,
It breaks down as: Calories 675, Protein38g, Fiber6g, Sugar5g, Fat15g

Olive Garden
Chicken & Gnocchi Soup (one serving)250 calories, 8g fat, 29g carbs and 16g protein.
Minestrone Soup (one serving)100 calories, 1g fat, 18g carbs and 4g protein
Garden-Fresh Salad (one serving with dressing)150 calories, 10g fat, 11g carbs and 2g protein
Roasted Parmesan Asparagus has 80 calories, 5g fat, 5g carbs and 3g protein.
Chicken Meatballs (small plate) has 260 calories 9g fat, 7g carbs and 28g protein.

  I still struggle with getting in my minimum 60 grams of Complete Proteins in daily. So, I do LOVE Smoothie King. They have the 20 oz Gladiator®  with the exact sugar content varies with fruit choice. But, I always choose the double Black Cherry with the Vanilla powder. It basically gives me: 45 grams of protein in only 180 calories! The only sugar is from the fruit but I tolerate it very well, so it's my go-to fix when I am out running around.
  As you can see,  I have not been to too many places. It's difficult when you are playing the game of "what will stay in my tummy and what will come back up"..... so,  I am extremely cautious. I don't always make the absolute best choices but these were what has worked for ME so far.
  I will continue to try new things as I continue on my weightloss journey. I really want to enjoy my new body,  my new life without it having to revolve around considering calories,  fat and blah blah blah!!! It isn't something I get the luxury of saying "screw it I want a pile of deep fried onion rings today" because if i did..... it would be UGLY! I don't want to just survive,  I want to have the knowledge already in place so when I'm out with friends it's second nature on what to order. I understand there is learning curve with a whole lot of trial and error i have yet to face.  So, I promise that I will keep you posted! Goodnight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment